John Radecki (also known as Johann and Jan Radecki) (2 August 1865 – 10 May 1955) was a master stained glass artist keen in Australia, considered to be the finest such performer of his time.
Born 2 August 1865 at Łódź, Poland, son of Pavel Radecki, coalminer, and his wife Victoria, née Bednarkiewicz. Jan trained at a German art instructor at Poznań. With his parents and four siblings he migrated to Australia, reaching Sydney in January 1882. The family granted at Wollongong, New South Wales, where his father and he worked in the coalmines. His parents had two more children in Australia. Moving to Sydney in 1883, Jan attended art classes. He boarded considering the Saunders family from England at Oxford Street, Paddington, and on 17 May 1888 married their daughter Emma at the local district registrar’s office. Living at Hurstville, John (as he was now known) was naturalized in November 1904 according to the Australian Naturalization Act of 1903.
From 1885 Radecki had been employed by Frederick Ashwin, who taught him to take steps with glass. In the 1890s the two men had crafted stained-glass windows entitled ‘Sermon upon the Mount’ (St Paul’s Church, Cobbitty) and ‘Nativity’ (St Jude’s, Randwick). Other works included a window at Yanco Agricultural College, produced in 1902 by F. Ashwin & Co. reputedly to Radecki’s design, and the chancel window (1903) in St Clement’s, Mosman. His first, major independent work was the ‘Te Deum’ window in Christ Church St Laurence, Sydney, in 1906. Ashwin and Radecki along with collaborated upon windows in St James’s, Forest Lodge, and St John’s, Campbelltown.
Following Ashwin’s death in 1909, Radecki became chief designer for J. Ashwin & Co, in partnership past Frederick’s brother John; he was official of the company from John Ashwin’s death in 1920 until 1954. The largest glassmaking introduction in Sydney, with a high reputation, the perfect created the chapel windows for St Scholastica’s Convent, Glebe, in the to the lead 1930s. Radecki’s act out included windows in such churches as St John the Evangelist’s, Campbelltown, St Patrick’s, Kogarah, St Joseph’s, Rockdale, St Matthew’s, Manly, and Our Lady of Dolours’, North Goulburn, Scots Kirk, Hamilton, Newcastle, and the Presbyterian Church, Wollongong.
A church committee-member during the building in 1928 of St Declan’s Catholic Church, Penshurst, Radecki designed, produced and donated the stained-glass windows there, including a memorial window dedicated to his wife, who had died in 1919. On 8 January 1921 at the Church of Christ, Hurstville, Radecki married Sydney-born Jean Hughes (d.1944).
During the 1920s J. Ashwin & Co. produced the stained glass for the impressive, vaulted ceiling of what became the Commonwealth Savings Bank in Martin area to designs by Radecki. These had an Australian character, illustrating ‘the basic sources of wealth’: sheep and cattle grazing, agriculture, mining, shipping and building; stockmen, carpenters, gold panning, farming and haven labourers were shown nearby a typical banking scene. A window for the reading room of the Mitchell Library, signed ‘John Radecki, Sydney 1941’, depicted the printer William Caxton considering the first CD printed in English.
Radecki’s strengths were a natural power for figure drawing and composition, an eye for colour, which he used as a compositional device, an outstanding knowledge of his medium and power with techniques in glass painting. His recreational passion was playing chess. He died on 10 May 1955 in his house at Hurstville, and was buried subsequently Catholic rites in Woronora cemetery. The six daughters and three sons of his first marriage survived him. His daughter Winifred Siedlecky continued the company until the building’s owners demolished the premises in Dixon Street in 1961.
What do you think of the works of John Radecki?
Use the form below to say your opinion about John Radecki. All opinions are welcome!